Everyone has heard about flight API integration but only few of them know that it also has types of integration. Depending on the requirements of TMC (Travel Management Company) they opt for the type of integration. Some TMCs get all three types of integration in their portal and they can also compliment it with their own fares. Now lets understand about the types of flight API integration.
- Direct Airline API Integration
- GDS (Global distribution system) API Integration
- 3rd party API Integration
Direct Airline API Integration
When an airline gives the direct API to integrate it in the portal then it is called direct airline API integration. Generally this service is provided to a TMC with large operations and turnover. It is an expensive process as airline charges high to provide the API and integration process also takes a lot of time and money. Moreover travel agents cannot rely on just one airline’s API Integrated, as the customer wants option to choose from. Travel agents have to invest in GDS or 3rd party API integration as well.
When is it required?
- Airline not available on GDS.
- Travel agents have special corporate codes/ deals in their id of the airline.
GDS API Integration
There are three major GDS – Sabre, Amadeus, Travelport (Apollo, Worldspan, Galileo).
TMC wanting the ownership of PNR prefer This integration. TMCs gets the segment payout from GDS on the basis of the number of segments created. Higher the segments higher the amount of payout.
A certified developer of GDS can integrate the API easily and quickly.
GDSs mostly focus on five types of reservations:
- Airplane seats
- Hotel rooms
- Car rentals
- Cruise lines and ferries
Sabre divides its APIs into eight groups:
- Ground transportation (car rentals and rails)
- Trip management
- Session management
3rd Party API Integration
Start up travel agencies or TMCs in travel business for a few years prefer this integration.
- GDS with local LCC – A third party API supplier has GDS and the LCC (Low cost carrier) airline integrated in its API. Mostly The LCC can be of the habitant country. Travel agencies having domestic and outbound travel business prefer this type of 3rd party API integration.
- GDS with worldwide LCC – A third party API supplier can also have GDS and worldwide LCC airline integrated in its API. Third party API of worldwide LCC with GDS are expensive in comparison with GDS with local LCC. Travel agencies having inbound travel business or business from multiple countries integrates this type of 3rd party API integration.