Sri Lanka is a beautiful island country with plenty of natural beauty. What’s the first thing which comes to your mind when we say Island? Beaches, of course. That is exactly what Sri Lanka is famous for. People from all around the world come to explore the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Unawatuna is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Sri Lanka and is the most “famous” beach in the country which is famous for calm blue waters. It is a lovely banana-shaped beach of golden sand and turquoise water, surrounded by green palm trees!
Best time to visit: Late August and early September as the rain starts to set by mid-October.
- Enjoy water sports like diving and snorkeling.
- Sunbathe on the beautiful golden sand beach.
- Be Blessed at Yatagala Raja Maha Viharaya Temple.
- Treat yourself to an Ayurvedic massage and pamper yourself at the Sanctuary Spa.
- Relax at Thaproban Beach House and enjoy authentic Sri Lankan cuisine.
- This beach is famous for nesting turtles.
2. BENTOTA BEACH
If you are looking for a Sri Lankan beach holiday and wish to stay at resorts that specialize in medicine centers and relaxing spa, Bentota is the place for you. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Sri Lanka and is a perfect getaway for tourists who are looking to spend a few days away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is also one of the best beach places in Sri Lanka The beach is highly popular and is one of the top beaches in Sri Lanka.
Best time to visit: End August to mid-October.
- This beach is relatively less crowded.
- Try your hands on water sports such as water skiing and canoeing.
- Visit the aquatic life protection center and get an opportunity to release a turtle into the sea.
- Relax at the ayurvedic centers and enjoy a relaxing spa.
- Book yourself a river safari and whale watching.
- Start your morning with a bicycle tour of the city.
3. MIRISSA BEACH
Mirissa is one of the most popular beach destinations in southern Sri Lanka, and for a good reason! The area has it all, beautiful Sri Lankan beaches, great waves for surfing, and waters teeming with marine life, from turtles to big blue whales. Spend your days enjoying fresh coconuts in your hammock, eating delicious food from beachside restaurants, and zooming around by motorbike.
Best time to visit: December to March to see turtle hatching, or through August to October
- One of those beaches in Sri Lanka which is ideal for swimming.
- West side of the beach is known for watersports, especially surfing, and a small coral reef
- Spot dolphins and whales, also the spot turtles laying eggs too.
- Hire a boat and go fishing with the locals near the coral reef.
- Enjoy a relaxing Ayurvedic massage in Ayurveda centers.
4. GALLE BEACH
Galle is one of the most visited beaches in Sri Lanka. It tops the list of beaches in Colombo. With a wonderful history; Galle amazes you by the architectural beauty, the tropical weather, the aroma of spices such as the cinnamon and cloves and more.
Best time to visit: September to March
- Visit the old town of Galle to see its architectural beauty
- Take a tour of the Martin Wickramasinghe Folk Museum Complex to experience the rich Sri Lankan culture.
- Explore the city , visit the Japanese peace Pagoda and enroll for yoga and Pilates class in Niyagama House
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve is a must visit
- Deep sea fishing tours and whale watching tours are a must!
5. HIKKADUWA BEACH
The beaches in Hikkaduwa have been attracting tourists destination. The beach stretches on spanning over kilometers and hosts many fun activities to keep the tourists engaged. These water sports include snorkeling and scuba diving for the adventure seekers. The clear waters beckon the nature lovers who wish to take a dip inside the waters to witness the vibrant, colorful aquatic life. The coral sanctuary hosts gorgeous coral formations, which house a variety of fishes and large turtles. The islets along the beach breed pockets of wildlife and are a wonderful way to interact with it.
Best time to visit:
- Shopping spree in the local markets and treat yourself with silver jewelry and gemstones.
- Enjoy the beach side cafes and party late in one of the best nightclubs.
- Be a part of the local community in celebration of the Hikkaduwa Beach Festival.
- Learn some facts about the turtles and the coral life.
- Take a boat ride.
6. ARUGAM BAY BEACH
Arugam Bay is a hidden gem located on the east coast of Sri Lanka. As it’s located far from the capital and other tourist attractions. The blue waters of the Arugam bay provide ample opportunities for fishing and underwater photography. Known to be a surfers paradise, Arugam Bay in Sri Lanka has some of the best beaches in the country.
Best time to visit: March to October
- One of the best surfing points across the world.
- Book a lagoon tour which provides a slow and relaxing journey through the hidden treasures of Pottuvil lagoon.
- During off season you would be amazed to see millions of migratory birds.
- Walk to the Elephant Rock.
- Visit the Hulannuga Caves.
7. POLHENA BEACH
Polhena beach is indeed one of the most beautiful beaches in Sri Lanka which is both a treat to the eyes as well as providing an excellent stop for some water sports. It is protected by the soft coral reef, therefore, it is protected by strong waves. This is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Best time to visit: March to October
- Take a snorkeling tour and dive in the pristine waters.
- Watch the turtles up close.
- Witness the most beautiful untouched aquatic life along the 4 km long coral reef
- Take the tour of this tranquil and scenic village and book a boat trip on the Nilwala Ganga river where you get to spot crocodiles and beautiful birds.
8. MOUNT LAVINIA BEACH
Mount Lavinia Beach in Sri Lanka is a main sea-bathing spot in the island. Here, depending on season, the waves can be swimmable and it’s host to some amazing sunsets. Mt Lavinia beach offering a stretch of sand, waves, lifeguards, hotels & nearby restaurants. It is always advised that people swim near groups and always keep a close eye on children (and pets). If you’re just wading up to your hips and building sand castles, however, Mount Beach is fine. And if you like to stay long enough around 6 PM you cab view some amazing sunsets in the Western Indian ocean.”
Best time to visit: January to March and August to November
- Turtle Conservation Projects.
- Enjoy an elephant ride and explore the beautiful city.
- Go scuba diving and snorkeling in the blue waters.
- Sri Lanka Air force Museum is a must-visit.
9. NILAVELI BEACH
Nilaveli Beach is one of the best Sri Lanka best beaches. It is a broad, sandy beach, lined with palm trees and popular for fishing hotspots. Located on the northeast part of Sri Lanka.Nilaveli is an isolated beach located on a tiny island. This is one of the most picturesque beaches of Sri Lanka.
Best Time To Visit: November to May are the best months to visit Nilaveli beach
- Stylish, spacious accommodations around the beach.
- Good for sightseeing with a generous amount of Tamil culture.
- Recreational water sports.
- The hot water wells and pigeon islands.
- An old fort from the colonial era is also present.
10. KALKUDAH BEACH
If your dream vacation comprises of a white sand beach shaded by palm trees, this is it. Pasikudah and Kalkudah is one of the most beautiful places to visit for a vacation with your significant other. This mile-long beach on Pasikuda Bay is perfect for swimming and wading. The surf is gentle, protected by a reef, unlike many beaches in Sri Lanka with rough surf. The sand is bright white and soft, with fine grains, and the beach is lined with coconut trees.
Best time to visit: Throughout the year
- The beach is best known for swimming. It is safe for both beginners and experts.
- It is surrounded by 14 luxury hotels where you can opt for getting a sauna.
11. UPPUVELI BEACH
Uppuveli is amongst the best beaches in Sri Lanka. If beautiful landscape, classic accommodation, and authentic cuisine are one your mind then Uppuveli is indeed the most suitable choice. You would be amazed how the locals welcome the tourist and make them a part of their festivities. If you arrive early, you can watch or help the fisherman haul in their nets. The sand is golden, and the sea here is light-blue due to the sun’s reflection off the sandy bottom.
Best time to visit: August to mid-October
- Ride across the beautiful village to explore the natural beauty.
- Moonlight strolling on this beach is a wonderful experience
- Swami Rock of Trincomalee, perfect for watersports such as diving, swimming, and snorkeling
- Enjoy a relaxing massage.
- Explore the seabed at the Pigeon Island which is not too far from the beach.
12. NEGAMBO BEACH
Negombo is one of the most best beaches in Sri Lanka, frequented by international visitors as it is very close to the airport. The city of Negombo still shows Dutch characteristics in its architectures and is a must visit on your trip to Sri Lanka.
Best time to visit: March to September
- Take a bike trail and explore the beautiful village and a boat ride to explore the coral reefs
- The blue lagoon is the most appropriate place for bird watching. The calm waters of the lagoon promise excellent diving and snorkeling experiences.
- Visit the gem mines and indulge in some gem shopping
- Take an elephant ride and tour the dense forest, discover the adventurous side of you while trekking through the forests.
- Sights some whales and dolphins in their natural habitat and enjoy the breathtaking views of roaring waterfall especially during monsoon.
13. TANGALLE BEACH
Do you dream about sandy beaches and pristine blue waters– Well, it is time to head to Tangalle beach. It is the perfect cure for your Monday morning blues. The light sand is in sharp contrast with the dark blue water, both set against deep green foliage that lines the beach.
Best time to visit: Throughout the year
- The offshore reefs along this beach make for the perfect diving site.
- The beach offers some of the most beautiful sunsets.
14. MUHATHUWARAM BEACH
Muhathuwaram is a beach located on the eastern coast, about a mile from Batticaloa. Surrounded by fishing villages, with no real development, it makes for a good day trip from the city after you have explored the places to visit in Batticaloa. Muhathuwaram is a nice alternative to the popular Sri Lanka best beaches in the region. Supposedly, this is a secluded beach and considered one of the top Sri Lanka beaches.
Best Time To Visit: From December to March would be the best one
- Perfect place for a relaxed vacation.
- Enjoy distinctive traditions, culture and lush unspoiled tropical wonders
- Architectural temples, kovils and churches with age-old festivals in Sri Lanka.
- Multiple Anglo-heritage attractions
- Historical architecture from the Dutch Colonial times
15. TALALLA SOUTH BEACH
The Talalla South beach is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Sri Lanka. It is shaped like a crescent. If you plan to visit Sri Lanka, make sure to add this beach to your itinerary for a fun-filled vacation. You can surf, swim or relax and get a tan on the beach. There are plenty of things to do here. It’s all hidden behind the tree line, so the beach, a golden curve of gently sloping sand, retains an unspoiled quality.
Best time to visit: November to April
- It is well-known for a splendid view of the ocean.
- Kite surfing is very popular here.
16. KALPITIYA BEACH
Seeing dolphins for the first time can be a surreal experience. On Kalpitiya beach, dolphins are a common sight. We suggest you to take a dolphin watching tour or sit by yourself on the beach and try spotting a few. We promise that you’ll have the time of your life. For a clearer view, we suggest you hop on a boat.
Best time to visit: November to March
- Watching dolphins is one of the most famous activities to pursue here.
- Kite surfing is another popular avenue for adventure.